BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, March 22, 2009

peace starts with a smile

I saw that on a water bottle yesterday, and it's right. Other than the water bottle being extremely adorable (and eco friendly) it had some wisdom typed upon it's chrome surface.
I was talking to my friend yesterday, and we were talking about how people are too wrapped up in their own lives. Which before you accuse me of being accusing, think about it.
If some random stranger smiles at you on the street, what do you do? Do you smile back and wave or look away? Nine times out of ten, people don't smile back. Seriously, just go out on the street and try it, you'd be surprised.
Later that day my friend and I stopped in starbucks for a cookie. We split the cookie in two, and proceeded to munch. When suddenly a starbucks employee came up to the trash can beside us, and began to take the bag out. The bag got stuck halfway out, and the employee tugged and tugged but the bag wouldn't budge. So my friend went over and tried to help her, she wasn't doing much, just holding the can so the employee didn't have too. But the employee stopped her. Apparently the simple act of aiding a barista with a troubling trash can was against store policy.
Did you hear that?

IT'S AGAINST STORE POLICY TO HELP SOMEONE! That makes me SO mad.
It should be against store policy to bad mouth an employee. It should be against store policy to sue starbucks because your frappucino was cold.
The last thing that should be against store policy is helping someone.
Another thing that bugs me is that we as a society are SO FREAKING APPREHENSIVE TOWARDS STRANGERS! Seriously, one of the first little life lessons that I remember learning when I was like four was 'don't talk to strangers'. Maybe that's why we don't smile back. Because just maybe they could be trying to sell you drugs. Or POSSIBLY their just some nice person who wanted to let you know that you are important. Gee, ever think of that?
A couple hours later, my friend and I were still in starbucks. An elderly woman sitting at the table beside us began to strike up a conversation. She told us how mature we sounded, and how delightful it was to listen to us, not that she was eavesdropping. We didn't mind. I was on my phone at the time, but as soon as the call ended. I told the woman hello.
The world needs more people like that lady.

So good people of the internet, I have a proposition for ya. This week I want you to go out and do seven random nice things. Give a penny instead of take one. Drop some change on the street. Smile at someone, and be okay if they don't smile back.
Let's make this week 'smile for strangers' you'd be surprised at what little things like that can do.

Peace

1 comments:

M.L. Kenney said...

I will make my week "Smile for Strangers," I swear!!!!!! I love the idea.